Creating a Certificate of Residence
Foreign residents will come under the Basic Resident Register System and a Certificate of Residence will be produced at your municipal hall. Households comprised of Japanese and foreign nationals will be able to acquire a joint record for all members of the household.
- Shimane’s Municipalities(Japanese)
- Changes to the Basic Resident Registration Law
- For foreign residents, the “Basic Resident Registration Network System” will commence operation.
Address (Change) Notification
- Moving In Notification: Please complete at the municipal office within 14 days of beginning to live at the new location.
- Change of Address Notification: If your address is within the same municipality, please complete this procedure within 14 days of moving.
- Moving Out Notification: If you are moving to a different municipality or returning home please inform the municipality you currently reside in. You can complete this procedure from 14 days prior to your move.
Personal Stamp Registration
There are times when you will be required to use a personal stamp (inkan) instead of a signature. For inkans used on especially important documents, there is a requirement that they be registered with the municipal office.
- Council of Local Authorities For International Relations (CLAIR) Multi-lingual lifestyle information D Other notifications 5 Personal seals (PDF)
When getting married, you are required to complete this procedure at either of the municipalities the two people reside in. There are also procedures to complete at your Regional Immigration Bureau and your country’s embassy or consulate.
Please check with both country’s consulates or embassies in the case of two foreign residents getting married in Japan.
In an amicable divorce, one partner needs to notify their municipality of the occurrence. There are also procedures to complete at your Regional Immigration Bureau and your countries’s embassies or consulates.