This is a notice from the Cabinet Office.

As the new coronavirus infectious disease lasts for a long time, 100,000 yen per household will be cashed for households exempt from residence tax, etc. so that people facing various difficulties can promptly receive support for their lives and livelihoods (Temporary special benefits) will be paid.

Procedures are required to receive the benefits.

The actual benefits will be provided by the municipality where you live. The application method, application form, and application period may differ depending on the municipality where you live. For more information, please contact your local municipal office. If you need an interpreter, please use the Shimane Multicultural General Consultation One-Stop Center.

Payment target and procedure method

Households that are exempt from the per capita rate of residence tax for the year 2021

A confirmation letter will be sent from the municipality where you were registered as a resident as of December 10, 2021 (return required).

If you have moved into your household after January 2, 2021, you may need to apply. 

For details, please check with the municipality that has a resident registration as of December 10, 2021.

Households whose income has decreased due to the effects of the new coronavirus infection, and all households income “equivalent to exemption from residence tax” (households with sudden changes in the household budget)

Please apply to the municipality where your address is registered.

Amount of payment

100,000 yen per household

Inquiries about the system

Call center for Temporary special benefit for households excluded from levy of the inhabitant tax for the year 2021

TEL 0120-526-145

Reception hours 9:00 am – 8:00 pm (excluding December 29 to January 3)

Beware of “transfer fraud” and “personal information exploitation”!

Municipalities and countries, Cabinet Offices, etc. never do the following:

  • Operate an automated teller machine (ATM)
  • Requesting a transfer of fees for benefits
  • Ask for your cash card PIN
  • Send an email and click the URL to complete the application procedure

If you think “Is it suspicious”, Please contact the following.

  • The city, town, or village you live in
  • Nearest police station (Police consultation number # 9110)
  • Consumer Hotline 188 (3-digit number without area code)